Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Crunch Time

The doctor rang and told me Arthur's pneumonia is better and he will be ready for discharge soon. The problem is that Arthur is so frail he needs to go to a nursing-home, and he does not want to. Arthur told them to ring me. I said Arthur was coming home - no ifs, no buts, no nursing home.

I asked about the TCP program to get him conditioning to improve his mobility, but the doctor said the physiotherapists concluded that he is not suitable. He is not strong enough anymore and he won't benefit from it, they said.

The doctor said they could not discharge him to go home but Arthur could discharge himself, so I assume this is to do with liability issues. I am going in tomorrow morning to talk to the physiotherapist and the occupational therapist. I talked about it with Arthur and I asked him to consider where he wanted the hospital bed, as he would mostly be using that, as it was the best for me to look after him. He said he would think about it.

I was shocked because the social worker talked to me about the TCP program and I thought that Arthur would do it and get back some mobility. I have to face that fact that Arthur has gone down another level and there are not many more left to go.

I am hurting, hurting, hurting. My soul feels as if it has toothache. I am fighting to hold back grief so that I can be positive for Arthur. I have been so sluggish since he came home in November. It is as if I wished to slow time. I need to find the energy to do the things I need and want in whatever time we have left.

Dear God, if you be, be with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment